Wednesday, April 2, 2014

First Story

I'm pretty excited to see my story "My Blues-Eyed Girl" up at Shotgun Honey, especially since I'm a fan of the site. I really enjoy writing flash fiction pieces because a lot of story has to fit into a really small box. In this case, a 700 word box. 

The process of paring down text from a draft twice that length is challenging, but forces me to consider each word. There's always what you want to tell the reader, but it really comes down to what they need to know (and what they can figure out for themselves). 

Flash fiction becomes an exercise in editing, which is where I feel I do my best work. 

Drafting is certainly a challenge because the editor wants to kick in...sadly, the editor is usually a pessimistic downer, so he tends to inhibit the first draft process. 


No comments:

Post a Comment