Friday, April 18, 2014

A Little Something...

Over at Agent Suzie Townsend's blog, there is a contest. I enjoy these kinds of contests as they test story and revision. 

I submitted my entry, which started out around 200 words before being whittled down to a scant 100. 

Check out the contest:  http://confessionsofawanderingheart.blogspot.com/2014/04/you-asked-for-it.html

When you only have 100 words, every single word has a job. It really makes you consider what you want versus what you need.

The last few words to cut are the hardest. 

Here's my entry:



The new leaf unfurled as it steeped. She poured the tea into a bone china cup engirdled with magnolia.

“The best brew is with loose leaves. Maintains all the flavor. Tea bags contain dust, the death of a good cup.”

She scanned the face of the gagged man.

“I could make this swift,” she said, running a finger along the cup handle.

“But, suffering enhances the flavor.”

She sipped.


“Once I am done with you, I will grind you to dust, stuff you into tea bags, and sell you to herbalists in Chinatown. Quality ingredients are hard to come by.”

No comments:

Post a Comment